- Monitor the extent of reservoirs and lakes over time
- Understand the history - detect recent changes
- Observe seasonal flooding of agricultural fields
- Evaluate flooding extent and water inundation
- Benefit from satellite imagery without any need download and process
- Starting at 0.02 € per km2 (excl. VAT)
The monitoring GeoService WaterMask from HySpeed Computing is a GeoService ready-to-use in your GIS environment. It provides a time series of maps clearly delineating for each timestamp the surface water extent from any non-aquatic components, such as land, vegetation, snow and ice. Each suitable Landsat 8 or Sentinel-2 data set acquired within a certain time period will be analysed.
All agencies and companies benefit from this service who are in need for reliable, repetitive and low cost information for water supply management, flood assessment, coastal analysis or other aquatic investigations.
WaterMask provides global insights on the location and quantity of one of the planet’s most valuable resources - water - which is critical for human health and welfare, food security, and environmental sustainability.
Without time-consuming data search and expensive on-site surveys property owners, real estate and construction companies and insurance companies get at low cost a fast, recent and contiguous information on the extent of water bodies over time. They can use it to understand the flood history and to simplify the estimation of flood risk for a selected area.
Governments save time and efforts in fulfilling their duties to secure water supply and to reduce the impacts of floods for their citizens.
Use WaterMask to:
- Monitor the extent of reservoirs and lakes to provide valuable information on water supply availability and water management decisions.
- Observe seasonal flooding of agricultural fields and waterfowl habitats to track resource utilization and environmental benefits.
- Examine inland and coastal shoreline networks to assess habitat dynamics and ecosystem services.
- Evaluate flooding extent and water inundation to assist with disaster management and damage assessments.
Exemplary use cases
Unique on CloudEO
Value adding companies who host their remote sensing processing on CloudEO can integrate the delineation of water bodies by WaterMask as one fully automated step in their workflow. It reduces ambiguities and accelerates the processing.
The WaterMask application is based on published scientific methods and has been implemented using state-of- the-art geospatial data processing tools and architecture. WaterMask is a robust index that performs well for most surface water conditions, however, known limitations include confusion with dark surfaces and shadows and underestimation of water areas with high turbidity.
The monitoring is based on Landsat 8 and Sentinel-2 satellite images. The resolution of these satellite imagery determine the resolution of the resulting map. The revisit time of 5 days for Sentinel-2 and 16 days for Landsat 8 define the maximum update frequency. Whenever an image take is available over a selected area, the service WaterMask evaluates the usability of the image, which is mainly determined by the cloud cover. Typically, if the cloud coverage is below 20%, a new WaterMask is generated. In average biweekly or monthly updates will be available.
Output files are in standard GeoTIFF and Shapefile formats, allowing for immediate visual interpretation and direct incorporation into reports and presentations, as well as ingestion into other geospatial data and image analysis software packages.
The WaterMask package consists of the following output files:
- Water Mask image (GeoTIFF)*
- Water Mask shapefile (Shapefile)*
- True-color RGB base image (GeoTIFF)*
- False-color CIR base image (GeoTIFF)*
- Water Mask layered on RGB base image (GeoTIFF)*
- Water Mask layered on CIR base image (GeoTIFF)*
*All output files are distributed as single integrated ZIP file
Beyond the standard options individual product configurations are possible. Our GeoExperts are standing by to optimize the product configuration according to your needs. Just contact us.
- Volume discounts for larger areas are available.
- On CloudEO, you can easily integrate the analytics into your processing chain to save time and costs within your workflow.
- Please let us know if you encounter any problems at email@example.com. We are happy to get your feedback.
Pricing / Licensing
The pricing is based on the size of the selected area, the selected resolution and the length of the monitoring period. The minimum order value is 10 Euro. The calculated price is valid for usage by one named user. CloudEO Terms & Conditions apply.