- Monitor land and shoreline extent over time
- Understand the history - detect recent changes
- Determine the presence and extent of harmful algal blooms
- Analyze the distribution and condition of aquatic habitats
- Examine sediment and nutrient outflows
- Benefit from satellite imagery without any need download and process
- Starting at 0.02 € per km2 (excl. VAT)
The monitoring GeoService LandMask from HySpeed Computing is a GeoService ready-to-use in your GIS environment. It provides a time series of maps clearly differentiating for each timestamp the land and other non-aquatic components, such as vegetation, snow and ice, from water bodies. Each suitable Landsat 8 or Sentinel-2 data set acquired within a certain time period will be analysed.
All agencies and companies benefit from this service who are in need for reliable, repetitive and low cost information for coastal change assessment, water quality, ecosystem status or other aquatic and coastal investigations.
LandMask provides fundamental information on characteristics of the land-water interface, and by masking the land itself, delivers a foundation for the further assessment of coastal water properties and habitat conditions, which are essential for human health and welfare, coastal resource use and development, and environmental sustainability.
Without time-consuming data search and expensive on-site surveys property owners, real estate and construction companies and insurance companies get at low cost a fast, recent and contiguous information on the extent of land and shorelines over time. They can use it to evaluate land and coastal development and to simplify the estimation of water quality for a selected area.
Governments save time and efforts in fulfilling their duties to secure water quality for their citizens, to reduce the impacts of coastal changes and to preserve the ecosystem dynamics.
Use LandMask to:
- Monitor land and shoreline extent to evaluate coastal development and ecosystem dynamics.
- Determine the presence and extent of harmful algal blooms to assess threats and support management decisions for protecting human health.
- Analyze the distribution and condition of aquatic habitats, such as coral reefs and seagrass, to provide information on resource utilization and ecosystem services.
- Examine sediment and nutrient outflows to evaluate impacts on water quality, turbidity, sediment transport and environmental status.
Exemplary use cases
Unique on CloudEO
Value adding companies who host their remote sensing processing on CloudEO can integrate the delineation of land and other non-aquatic components by LandMask as one fully automated step in their workflow. It reduces ambiguities and accelerates the processing.
The LandMask application is based on published scientific methods and has been implemented using state-of- the-art geospatial data processing tools and architecture. Products from LandMask explicitly mask land and other non-aquatic components, such as vegetation, snow and ice, from water in each selected image, thereby leaving water areas unmasked for visual assessment and further analysis. LandMask is a robust index that performs well for most land and water conditions, however, known limitations include confusion with dark surfaces and shadows and underestimation of water areas with high turbidity.
The monitoring is based on Landsat 8 and Sentinel-2 satellite images. The resolution of these satellite imagery determine the resolution of the resulting map. The revisit time of 5 days for Sentinel-2 and 16 days for Landsat 8 define the maximum update frequency. Whenever an image take is available over a selected area, the service LandMask evaluates the usability of the image, which is mainly determined by the cloud cover. Typically, if the cloud coverage is below 20%, a new LandMask is generated. In average biweekly or monthly updates will be available.
Output files are in standard GeoTIFF and Shapefile formats, allowing for immediate visual interpretation and direct incorporation into reports and presentations, as well as ingestion into other geospatial data and image analysis software packages.
The LandMask package consists of the following output files:
- Land Mask image (GeoTIFF)*
- Land Mask shapefile (Shapefile)*
- True-color RGB base image (GeoTIFF)*
- Land Mask layered on RGB base image (GeoTIFF)*
- Grayscale Land Mask layered on RGB base image (GeoTIFF)*
*All output files are distributed as single integrated ZIP file
Beyond the standard options individual product configurations are possible. Our GeoExperts are standing by to optimize the product configuration according to your needs. Just contact us.
- Volume discounts for larger areas are available.
- On CloudEO, you can easily integrate the analytics into your processing chain to save time and costs within your workflow.
- Please let us know if you encounter any problems at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to get your feedback.
Pricing / Licensing
The pricing is based on the size of the selected area, the selected resolution and the length of the monitoring period. The minimum order value is 10 € (excl. VAT). The calculated price is valid for usage by one named user. CloudEO Terms & Conditions apply.